Powered by LiveJournal.com
You are viewing the most recent 25 entries.
16th October 2016
Everything amazing that happened to me at the con is too personal and new for me to post about here right now, so I'll just post about how I arranged to get some solo non-social time, some exercise, and got to enjoy a beautiful October day by leaving the con during daylight hours. :
I had brought all my heavy stuff home already through the kindness of a friend, but I had left my bicycle at the hotel. I said my goodbyes, and in order to catch a bus (they have bike-racks on them here) to escape from suburban hell and get back into the city, I had to figure out how to ride my bike north across I-494 to where the actual useful bus stops are. France Ave is still a no-go crossing for me on a bicycle, so I headed east to the York-Xerxes crossing. The pocket internet computer makes this sort of navigation so much easier than it used to be.
Managed to cross the Interstate intact and found the bus stop I wanted. Rode north through scary Edina and overshot my stop at 50th and Xerxes. Rode down a hill through amazing fall color (just keep repeating "through amazing fall color" during the rest of this post, I'm not going to do it myself) and cycled round the southern part of Lake Harriet, on the road with the cars, because I would have been salmoning on the bike trail. Up and down the bluffs along south Harriet. Then off down Minnehaha Creek, which was flooded enough to be impressive, but not flooded enough to interrupt my trail.
Lake Hiawatha was particularly spectacular, but I have sentimental connections to that neighborhood.
I wound up crossing Hiawatha Ave at 46th St, and headed north for home from there once I got to Minnehaha Ave.
3rd October 2016
- Mon, 13:48: RT @GGevirtz: #Trump campaign is blatantly calling for voter intimidation at the polls. Be prepared. Screenshot, copy and carry this with y…
1st October 2016
- Sat, 02:55: And next time, we will drop a ferret into your bathtub! https://t.co/H91D0nA8wM
- Sat, 03:40: The perils of citing youtube, when they get a takedown notice, I need to delete my tweet too. And then retweet.
- Sat, 04:02: RT @BinesiM: Acknowledge white skin privilege but don't let "white skin" delegitimize or create shame a/r your identity - that's white powe…
- Sat, 04:05: 1/ So after I reread Ptolemy Tompkins's first book, I reread /The Broken Spears/, which is now a standard undergraduate college textbook.
- Sat, 04:20: RT @BasicIncomeOrg: Claus Offe: "we should not think of basic income as a panacea but it can put a bottom to the income distribution" #bien…
- Sat, 04:34: I don't know wtf Elon Musk is on about with his Mars stuff, but it never made any sense to me to skip past the Moon. https://t.co/YF55ZxT01s
24th September 2016
- Sat, 01:25: I do love a good nocturnal haunt myself, and this looks great. https://t.co/YZKVw5gFH0
- Sat, 01:29: RT @Oxfam: Tax havens cost poor countries ~$170bn/year. A strong, united #G77 led by #Ecuador cld help shut them down for good https://t.c…
- Sat, 01:32: I think it would be more appropriate to say Hillary Rodham for this particular photograph, but that's just me. https://t.co/iJWVaR1Ru4
- Sat, 02:19: Why can't I quit listening to Shamen? https://t.co/pY9CZDbBZT
- Sat, 02:45: Tori Amos, live. Professional Widow. https://t.co/ypSD77sw2i
- Sat, 03:00: Sorry, folks, tonight just seems to be my night for expressing my enormous gratitude toward Tori Amos. https://t.co/ojdNWu1tr0
- Sat, 03:44: This song saved my life when I was having a very hard time of it. https://t.co/wuIxC1MnWd
- Sat, 04:43: Cocteau Twins, Pitch the Baby. https://t.co/ZCtOIvcuj5
- Sat, 04:58: RT @officialKeef: I don’t wave a flag for anyone. I am a musician. #BBCKeef
- Sat, 05:00: RT @_Buddha_Quotes: There is the taking on of a practice that is painful in the present and yields pain in the future.
10th September 2016
- Sat, 02:38: It's true, my musical taste was formed in the 1990s. Del. https://t.co/JwWPjpM9R0
- Sat, 03:06: RT @redstatist: we are not exceptional in suffering a half assed sham democracy but I can only imagine how absurd America seems from anywhe…
- Sat, 03:12: It's been one of my experiences, new to twitter myself, watching a story grow into coverage by the mainstream media. https://t.co/JxUJzlJVN8
- Sat, 03:33: RT @BeCurieus: Have high hopes for @TerrestrialMSR, of MSRs theirs is the most evolutionary and simple = realistic https://t.co/teL0ZswygX
- Sat, 03:34: https://t.co/ZNxRddJ7St
- Sat, 03:36: If I'm only getting this from Reuters Science News, then it bears retweeting. https://t.co/TQxFSzgtV6
- Sat, 03:58: I'm still wallowing in my 1990s music. Tori Amos, Father Lucifer. https://t.co/jcaqmli6WA
- Sat, 04:10: But let's not neglect Maurice Ravel. https://t.co/3AksCGGDOJ
5th September 2016
- Mon, 09:16: RT @ChuckTingle: every moment is a chance to PROVE LOVE do not take this for granted you are so special and important and YOU make love rea…
26th August 2016
- Fri, 00:30: I just discovered Kendrick Lamar. Got so lucky that way.
- Fri, 00:08: RT @Enceladosaurus: Casual reminder that TW are not censorship. They merely afford survivors & disabled folks an opportunity to prepare for…